Autologous treatment with PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma), is a modern medical proposal for tissue regeneration. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP), is an autologous biological agent that contributes naturally to the regeneration and hydration of tissues, with the aim of renewing the vagina that shows symptoms of atrophy.
What is vaginal atrophy?
By vaginal atrophy, we mean thinning – tearing of the vaginal wall, with consequences such as: vaginal dryness, insomnia, dysuria, irritation, pain or itching, but also recurrent urinary tract infections.
Vaginal wall thinning can be due to many factors, such as:
the chronic use of birth control pills
breast cancer by taking Tamoxifen
bowel cancer with radiation therapy
ovarian cancer treated with radiation
What is PRP?
Autologous PRP therapy is an autologous blood fraction with a high platelet count. It is a modern treatment in the field of health, which undertakes the activation and enhancement of the body’s natural ability to regenerate and regenerate its tissues and organs. Autologous PRP therapy has a variety of applications in the field of both preventive and therapeutic medicine.
How does it work
A typical blood sample consists of 55% plasma and 45% red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. At 45%, 93% are red blood cells, 6% are platelets and 1% are white blood cells. After any injury or injury that causes bleeding, the platelets release special growth factors, which control the inflammatory process, prevent and fight infections, triggering the healing process until the tissue is completely restored. Autologous PRP therapy is based on reversing the red blood cell – platelet ratio, reducing red blood cells to 5% – which are less useful in the healing process – and increasing the platelet concentration to 94%, to create a mixture of strong growth agents such as: PDGF, TGF-β1, TGF-β2, PDEGF, PDAF, PF-4, GMP-140, IL-1, FGF, I-α, I-γ, ILGF. Thus, while the normal concentration of blood in platelets is on average 250,000 platelets / dL, autologous PRP therapy has at least 1,000,000 platelets / dL. The therapeutic applications of PRP to date have been utilized with beneficial results in orthopedics, dermatology, dentistry, gynecology, surgery. Clinically tested for years in the treatment of soft tissue and bone graft injuries, PRP is now used by professional athletes to accelerate the healing of sports-related injuries in burn patients to help integrate skin grafts and very often, after heart surgery to heal incisions in the chest wall.
PRP treatment in the vaginal renewal
Platelet-rich plasma is a promising new biological solution for vaginal regeneration. Studies have shown that the success rate of PRP treatment for vaginal renewal is 85-90%. The procedure is performed with the blood which is collected from the patient’s arm and then placed and processed in special protocol devices, in order to separate its components. After isolating the platelet-rich plasma, it is collected and injected into specific areas of the vagina. With the infusion of PRP, the stem cells proliferate and the younger tissues grow, resulting in collagenogenesis. Day by day the vagina is hydrated, the skin in the vagina becomes softer and younger. The treatment can be done in combination with RF radio frequency and hyaluronic acid.
- The method is completely safe, as the blood used is the patient’s own and thus is not at risk of communicable diseases, while at the same time it is immunologically neutral and there is no risk of allergic reactions or hypersensitivity.
- No recovery time is needed and the return to sex life is immediate.
- As local anesthesia is performed in the vaginal area, the treatment is completely painless.
- This treatment effectively treats female sexual dysfunction and lack of orgasms due to vaginal dryness and atrophy.
- As there is no US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved drug for female sexual dysfunction, autologous PRP and desirial acid treatment has impressive, almost immediate effects thanks to its increased sensitivity and stimulation. of the clitoris, the enhancement of the natural lubrication of the vagina and of course, the reduction of the pain during sex in those women who suffer from insomnia.
*Tips for avoiding vaginal atrophy
- Avoid synthetic underwear
- Stop taking birth control pills chronically
- Exclusive use of cleaners with zero pH in the sensitive area
- Use estrogen topically